Thursday, July 20, 2006

Desserts



Last night I had some bing cherries - my favorite fruit - while Sally and I watched TV. Chased it with a big scoop of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food frozen yoghurt. A taste of heaven.

About a year and a half ago I started getting stomach aches starting around 3 AM and continuing until 10 AM. I started keeping track of what I ate on the stomach-ache-nights. The biggest culprits were late night chocolate ice cream, fruit, Dr Pepper, and movie popcorn (as opposed to microwaved). When I asked the doctor why after 50+ years I'd get stomach aches from my favorite foods, he just skipped ahead to what pills I could now start taking. Later, I realized that the answer is just age. The acids sloshing around my stomach are like early warning lights on my body's dashboard announcing that my body isn't going to always do what it's always done.

Maybe by taking the pills, I'm acting the same way our country does when it pursues oil by any means, rather than conserve, or do with less, or develop alternatives. Denial and convenience trump. But I sure do love those bing cherries and Phish Food before I hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment